Three things inspired the recipe you’re about to see:
- Winter’s chill is creeping in (especially through the very poorly-made windows in my very old apartment) and like clockwork, the soup cravings start taking over. Soup will warm me and I must be warmed! Food becomes not only something for eating, but a necessary remedy for our freezing bodies! I may even go as far as to say that ice-cream sounds like a form of frozen torture! …okay, I take that back. That’s ridiculous.
- This time of year also tends to suggest some indulgences in the food department…with Thanksgiving coming up next week (YEP. NEXT WEEK?!? WHERE DID NOVEMBER GO??!?) and Christmas right around the corner, we’ve got a ton of food-centric family time ahead of us! Whether we choose to enjoy some not-so-real-food-based treats or some extra Paleo desserts, these occasions can often leave us feeling heavy & a little sluggish.
- The broccoli I bought was about to go bad.
The answer to these three realizations? This Broccoli + Kale Detox Soup! Light, simple & PACKED full of detoxifying, cold-fighting, mineral-boosting ingredients, this is the perfect post-indulgence body-restorer…which also happens to pack a major punch of flavor. Plus, the garlic & onion are ideal for boosting the immune system in prime flu season!
The soup is quite light on it’s own, so it’s perfect for mixing in your favorite meat (chicken works great) or serving as a side dish.
-broccoli (one medium head)
-onion (one yellow onion, diced)
-kale (2 cups)
-garlic (2 tbsp minced)
-coconut oil or avocado oil (for cooking)
These are the spices I used, but feel free to use whatever you have: experiment, taste, repeat!
Season to taste.
-allspice (this is the primary flavor builder, so don’t be afraid to really go for it!)
-red pepper (for heat…I used about 2 tsps)
- Chop up broccoli & boil in a small pot with boiling water just covering the top of the broccoli. Cook until soft.
- While the broccoli is cooking, heat a large pot on medium heat. Add a tablespoon of either your coconut or avocado oil to coat the bottom.
- Add minced garlic & diced onion to the large pot. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Once broccoli is soft, add broccoli & the water it was boiled in into the large pot.
- Add kale. Cook until the kale has softened.
- Blend. Either use a stick blender to blend directly in the pot, or transfer contents into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Season away! Don’t be shy with the seasoning, either. These ingredients demand a good dose of salt and the allspice to bring a warm, full-bodied flavor–don’t skimp!
- Mix in your chopped up meat, or serve as is! Top with sunflower seeds & some fresh kale to garnish if you’re feelin’ fancy. (P.S. This is also delicious served cold. I know the whole point was to make a hot soup, but I’m just saying.)
Happy treating yourself this holiday season, happy warming yourself with this soup, happy using up your broccoli…and happy detoxifying with real, nutritious food! You have all my love for tuning in and for sharing your thoughts with me in the comments down below.
What holiday treats (healthy or not!) are you looking forward to next Thursday? I can’t wait for some good, buttery mashed potatoes.
Have a pretty miraculous day,