Breakfast is the best meal of the day because it can be kind of like dessert that’s super good for you. It can also be kind of like dessert that’s not super good for you, but well, I’m not really into that. So here, my friends, is my new breakfast obsession: a chocolate chia seed pudding layered with sunflower seed butter & homemade sugar-free jam. It tastes like a beautiful peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a little bit of chocolate and heaven thrown in—and as is my nature when it comes to new breakfasts I obsess over, I think about it all day and night and it’s my favorite part of the day. That’s right. My FAVORITE part of the day. I have no shame.
This recipe is sugar, dairy, gluten, grain & sweetener-free!
For the chia seed pudding:
-chia seeds (1/4 cup)
-non-dairy milk (1/2 cup—I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
-coconut cream (1/4 cup) *you can just do all almond milk or whatever combo suits you, but this makes it fattier & creamier which is obviously fabulous
-cacao powder (1 1/2 tablespoons) *optional
For the jam:
-frozen berries (1 cup) *this would just be for one single portion, but I like to make the jam in bulk and store in the fridge
-apple (1/2 cup, chopped into tiny pieces) *optional
-sunflower seed butter *or any other nut butter
-whatever else your wild imagination dreams of
Chia seed pudding:
- Pour non-dairy milk/coconut cream into a sealable container. Add chia seeds & cacao powder if using & shake to combine. Feel free to adjust the chia seed/liquid ratio depending on how thick you want the end result.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes & shake again to insure the chia seeds incorporate well & don’t sit on the bottom of the jar.
- Refrigerate overnight or for 3-4 hours!
- Heat a small pot on low.
- Put in frozen berries & apple pieces.
- Let sit & simmer until it thickens to your liking, stirring occasionally. Sometimes that’s a long time depending on how much you’re making, so I like to make this in advance and store it in the fridge. I also like to give the berries a little smashing to create a more even consistency.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl or glass, layer in the chia seed pudding, sunflower seed butter, and jam however many times you want. I like doing two layers of each.
- Top with fresh berries, nuts, desiccated coconut, coconut butter, whatever you like!
And we’re done! An easy & delicious breakfast full of good fat & protein while being super nutrient-dense thanks to the chia seeds. It’s a quick assembly in the morning if you have everything pre-prepared (which I do in bulk to make life easier), so you can grab-and-go OR spend more time enjoying your morning. I like the latter.
I really hope you enjoy this breakfast (or dessert! or snack!), and use it to fuel your pretty miraculous day.